Thursday, November 14, 2013

Our House, Our Home

Hello! My goal for this blog is to share my passion for interior design and how I am using it in my own home. I'm an amateur and am still somewhat of a novice when it comes to home design but it is something that I've always loved. I fell in love with interior design back when I was in high school. I took a bunch of classes on interior design and my dream was always to have it be my profession but living in a small town, it was never feasible for me and I wasn't sure I would really enjoy designing for someone other than myself! So instead, I went to college and became a teacher, which was another passion of mine and to be honest, I don't regret that decision at all! However, design has and will always be a part of me.
My husband, our two beautiful daughters, and I are currently in our first home. We bought it almost exactly 4 years ago when the housing market was down and it was a spectacular price! Since then, we have done a number of things to our home as far as remodeling and finishing it. However, even though we love everything about it, we are trying to sell it for a number of reasons. 
First of all, it's a gorgeous house but it's not WHERE we want to be. We live in the spectacular Rocky Mountains of Colorado but our roots are in Iowa along with all of our family and we will always be drawn back to there. We don't know how soon it will be before we move back to our home state but we do know that it will be in the future at sometime. It may be after we sell this home or it may be a few years down the road. 
Secondly, my husband, Nick is a contractor and has a desire to make our home exactly how we want it. That may mean building one or it may mean remodeling one but either way, it would have our personal style written all over it! Since our current home is not very old, there really isn't a reason to do much remodeling. At least not enough to actually add value to our home and have it be worth the money that we put into it. 
All that being said, I'm not afraid to show my personal style through our decor. We can't do anything too out there since we are trying to sell our home and appeal to buyers but I really don't feel like my style is all that out there anyway. It probably would appeal to most buyers in some form or another.

So through this blog I hope to share with my readers how I can turn any house into a home, even if it's not one that I particularly think is perfectly me. After all, it's not the house that matters but the feeling that it gives me when I walk into it. I can't promise that my house will be in tiptop shape every day since this is a home that is lived in and has two little girls roaming about. There will be toys and baby things scattered about, but it will still be beautifully decorated beyond all that!

So as I start this blog, I hope to share my home with all of your and how I've added my personal touch. I hope to share my tips on home design and how to decorate on a budget! There will hopefully be some diy projects involved along with lots of photos of our home! So if you are interested in all of that, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment